Thoughts on Magento 2: Should you upgrade?
If you have come here for a quick read, I won’t beat around the bush. There are LOTS of divided opinions out there on the merits of an upgrade to Magento 2, it’s either the best thing since sliced bread or a load of rubbish. It’s all a bit confusing; do you upgrade now, next or never? In a nutshell, here’s what I think;
Don’t rush to get on to Magento 2. BUT, at least make a start.
Should I upgrade to Magento 2?
I just googled this exact statement, then visited the first 8 or 9 organic listings. What answers do you think I found? Do you think it was: Nope, stay where you are?
Nope. To be honest, the most common message in all of them was:
“You are at risk of getting left behind if you do not upgrade now, or at least soon.”
Scare tactics, classic.
Magento 2 is the future
Not so much the present. The platform itself is, at most, about 70% finished and to pretend otherwise is foolish. We can’t expect it to be perfect at this point, and we definitely shouldn’t be rushing to make the leap from Magento 1 either.
If you have a really poor web store that is terrible to use, then yes Magento 2 is definitely better than what you have and you should move right now.
However, if you have a fully functioning & stable web store, based on Magento 1.9 for example, then yes, start planning your move to 2 but there is no need to waste time and effort rushing to get on to a platform that is still finding its feet.
What do I do now?
- Find & speak to a reputable Magento development agency about your Magento 2 plans
- Which edition is for you: Magento 2 Community Edition or Magento 2 Enterprise Edition?
- Create a clear and detailed brief for your new store
- Required Vs Desired functionality
- Data migration/integrations
- Start testing and working with Magento 2
- Share your experiences and listen to others
- Stay up to date on the latest version releases
- What bugs are they fixing and prioritising?
- Are there new features that you requested in your brief?
- How are the community reacting to the new version?
- Be ready
- Check out our list of new sites launched on Magento 2 and form your own views.
I 💛 Magento
Magento are working so hard on the new platform, and I do sympathise as there is quite a bit of negativity being thrown around about Magento 2. The work they’ve done/are doing is fantastic and I do believe we will all soon be saying “Gosh, remember when we were all on Magento 1. It’s so much better now.”
So hold your horses! Stop rushing in, keep testing & I will let you know when it’s time to make the leap 😜
Want to discuss a project?
Talk to our Magento experts on 01785 279920